Monday 4 April 2022

Erang "A Season Of Bloom" (2022)

 

Third of Five, A Season Of Bloom was the first of this ninety minute saga to grace my ears. Initially I was unassuming of what was to come. Led by a gorgeous cultural acoustic guitar, I was swiftly reminded of Erang's previous use of this instrument. Where much of the music to follow has an oddball character, led by experimentation and unusual ideas, this felt far more conventional and thus unalike for other reasons. The following three songs continue in this vein for the most cohesive of all five.

Accompanied by curious instruments of luscious dreary timbre, the guitar blooms brightly with a spirit distant from both the Fantasy genre and cultural sounds, yet seemingly they would be its closest companions. Its as if Erang birthed an identity for his realms, expressed through folkish tales that drift between the real and imaginary. Its beautiful and warmth with a subtle sadness, heard deeply on The Day I've Lost My Dog. I do think the shorter, four track focus serves a moment like this one well. A whole hour in this lane may end up loosing some potency along the way.

Rating: 6/10