Friday 26 December 2014

My Top 10 Albums Of 2014


The end of the year is upon us, and now its time to write about my 10 favorite albums of 2014. Most of them have been reviewed on the blog which has only been going a few months. Writing about music has given me tremendous focus when it comes to appreciating music. I am now much more organized with my listening habits, I only write about records after I feel an understanding and connection to that without the blog wouldn't have been the same in the past. I'm thankful for this blog and everyones support by reading the articles, Its improved my musical experience greatly and this article will cover my thoughts of each record in brief.

(10) Panopticon "Roads To The North" Link
Delightfully different approach to Black Metal, Kentucky folk influences, an appreciation of heritage and culture made this a colorful and palleted record that is enjoyable on every listen.

(9) Yagya "Sleepygirl" Link
 

Not an especially distinguished or grabbing record, this was just simply what I wanted from this artist, some chilled out super mellow dreamy electronics.

(8) Earth "Primitive And Deadly" Link
A masterful record that saw long running band Earth find their inspiration and direct it into a mature and well developed record that brought vocal elements into their usually instrumental sound. An unexpected and welcome suprise.

(7) Erang "We Are The Past" Link

Erang has pumped out a lot of music in a short amount of time and each record brings a variety of interesting and indulgent music, but unexpectedly this one really stepped up the game with some of his most inspired and captivating music yet. Makes me excited for the future of this project.


(6) Wolves In The Throne Room "Celestite"
Stripping out core elements of their sound and focusing on the abstract synthesizer sounds, the group made a remarkable record that goes on a vivid and mysterious journey through space and time with and eerie and cold undertone. Gripping soundscapes

 (5) Behemoth "The Satanist"
Stunningly dark, evil and well composed. What could of been another run of the mill album for their 10th effort turned out to be focused and ambitious record that despite sitting in a comfort zone, turned out to be monumentally engrossing and heavy.

(4) The Underachievers "Cellar Door - Terminus Ut Exordium" Link

A pleasant surprise to find a Hip Hop record in the modern era I could get into. Very much enjoyed the atmosphere of this record which borders some dark moods at time. Great beats and flows outside of my comfort zone made this an expansive record for my taste.

(3) Saor "Aura" Link

A brilliant record that appreciates Black Metals melodic side, bringing together the abrasive aesthetics with culturally inspired melodies and instrumentation. A pleasure for the ears.

(2) Messenger "Illusory Blues" Link

A Progressive Rock record that draws inspiration from many of the greats while creating its own identity. This record is mature for a debut and paves the way to a bright future for this creative band.

(1) First Aid Kit "Stay Gold" Link
Picking my favorite was as easy as it gets. Since I first heard this record Ive found myself more and more engrossed by these gorgeous songs that are charming and relate-able with down to earth, uplifting and reflectional lyrics that are driven home by the pairs beautiful voices, which put me in a good mood every time I hear them. Simply can't stop listening to this one.