Sunday 1 May 2022

Sum 41 "All Killer, No Filler" (2001)


Talk about a blast from the past, my teenage days of lounging on the couch after school, watching MTV for hours on end have returned so vividly! As one of Pop Punk's best offerings, the four friends of Sum 41 rose to prominence off the back of two massive singles, In Too Deep and Fat Lip. Both songs still sound fantastic to this day. Banging out the warm bouncy riffs, fun light hearted raps and instantaneously catchy hooks, these songs are so hard not to like, which brings me to musical elitism.

I remember loving these songs, as well as Pain For Pleasure, immensely. I'm also positive I had this record and one other of theirs in my collection. I am guessing as my tastes turned darker and harder, my naive youthful elitist Metalhead mind purged this "pop music" from the archives. Now a couple decades on from those years, I'm quite fond of hearing Pop Punk of that 00s era whenever it happens to pass me by.

Either Green Day, The Offspring or Blink 182, which I supposedly hated at the time, I can't deny my love of their songs I'd heard on the Tony Hawks Pro Skater soundtracks over and over again. Spending time with All Killer No Filler hasn't exactly increased my appetite for the genre, in fact its the same as I remember but at least now I can enjoy the warm fuzzy feelings these guys extract for suburban teenage problems.

As the title suggests, the band blitz through their ideas on a string of briefer three minute songs. Its fast, lean and sharp, with mouthy attitudes shouting off. Its not aimed at anyone, or with any malice. The tone is bright, sunny and upbeat. Its vibes get interspersed with fast tempos, choppy riffs and fun aggression, a typical chemistry for the genre. Most these songs lyrics have the finger keenly on the pulse of ones own emotions, relationships and mental health. A term not in the vocabulary of the times.

Despite being keenly introspective, it all tends to be ankle deep and light hearted, straight forward expressions, often airing out grievances and frustrations over suburban teenage issues, all with a decent spirit. Strangely I didn't find much of the lyrics cringe or typically angsty, the sort you'd find in embarrassing reflections on youthful ignorance. Even the anti conformity lyrical chants of Fat Lip hold up.

Lastly, Sum 41 have a slightly metallic edge. It doesn't manifest often, one or two "heavy riffs" and blazing guitar solos nod to their other influence. They give a wonderful tribute to Judas Priest with the albums closer Pain For Pleasure. Its quite possibly one of the best executed imitations of Priest you'll ever hear. It gives credit to the musicianship of these individuals who step into a genre easy to emulate yet hard to rise to the top of, which they did if you count music sales and chart success as a measurement. I've always been curious about doing a dive into Pop Punk but my time with this record didn't connect deeply. Had I gravitated to it in my youth, I'm sure I'd consider this a classic!

Rating: 7/10