Thursday 9 April 2020

Milk Teeth "Milk Teeth" (2020)


I was really excited for this record and by no fault of their own Ive found myself sorely disappointed. These English rockers had dazzled me in the past with Sad Sack and Vile Child. An energetic fusion of emotively charged Grunge attitude and punkish spirit graced this era brightly but that sparkle fades swiftly as the group take a renewed purist stride in the Grunge direction. Its a straight move into a slant of the genre that never really worked for me. This self titled album was unable to change that.

Relationship and personality woes dominate these themes with a continuously dreary tone of wallow that has conflict but no resolution in sight. Lightly distorted guitar tones switch between chords and hazy melodies that circle the drain on this unambiguous tone poised between uplift and self indulged misery. The music never shakes this slighted melancholy mood that drifts through its collection of short three minutes songs. Its a drone where little beyond simple song structures presents themselves.

It sounds harsh but Its simply my experience. They have traded in the explosive punch and wild energy I loved for a focused sound in the Proto-Emo vein of Grunge that never appealed to me. The lyrics feel endlessly sad without resolve. Because of this the music just fails to excite me in its unadventurous stance. No hate on the band of course, they are free to pursue whatever they like but this pivot has left me behind, this was really not what I was in the mood for, not the sound I gravitate too.

Rating: 3/10