Saturday, 23 August 2014

Opeth "Pale Communion" (2014)


This review will be short and sweet. Over 20 years Opeth have delivered 10 fantastic albums, all staying true to there unique vibe that is immediately identifiable. This being there 11th album, is one i had strong hopes for, and they were certainly met.

This album is their second without the death metal element that once made them stand out from other bands and the reality is its not missed. Opeth know how to write music, whatever pallet it is with. Pale Communion sounds like a mix of Heritage and Wateshed, with a more matured sense of pace and progression. In a nutshell, its exactly what you'd expect as an Opeth fan.

Favorite Songs: Moon Above Sun Below, Goblin
Rating: 4/10

6 comments:

  1. YES, YES, YES, ALL THE YES. I've loved Opeth's work since ever I've discoverd them about 5 years ago (when I was 12 years or so). As soon as one of the songs leaked I listend to it immediatly and loved it right away. A few weeks later they placed the whole album on YouTube and I listend it straight for a few days. They took a whole different direction in what they used to do and I can understand that some people don't like it because there's not really fast and "death metally". I, on the other hand, love this new approach, I haven't really had the time to buy the album yet, but I will for sure I love it and can't wait for what they're going to do in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evolution is good for bands, it would get stale if Opeth kept doing the same thing over, i like the new direction :-) The old albums are still there to listen to aswell :-D

      Delete
  2. X you should check out The Pegboard Nerds and Mr FijiWiji they are different in style to Opeth but still have class tunes

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://timshiel.bandcamp.com/album/duet-original-soundtrack
    This is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite album by Porcupine Tree is 'Stupid Dream'
    I think you might like it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKuHP_7J9zc

    ReplyDelete
  5. just bought it today and man, it was a very unique northern europe styled album

    ReplyDelete