Monday 31 January 2022

Dagoba "On The Run" (2022)

 

I'm not overly enthused about this release. Its more of a passing curiosity for a band name I was surprised to hear are still going. Its was back in the early days of the Deathcore scene that my friends and I also listened to these French metallers who were in a different lane, the "Future Fusion Metal" breed that never really took off. Melding an earlier take on Meshuggah's chunky Djent guitars, blisteringly fast mechanical drumming and an atmospheric helping of electronic synth, they caught our attention. They have since seemed to of escaped my interest... Perhaps I should revisit that record? Take another walk down memory lane! Music is always infused with memory for me.

Anyways, On The Run consists of two tracks still in that vein, modernized and toned down in intensity. The opening title track however goes for an accommodating temperament, a duet with an effeminate voice fit for more than just Metal. I couldn't find a name, but she has a style that steers the music into the classic European scene of decades past where women really started to get a foothold in the scene. The soft blare of trance synths nestled in the mix gives it quite the pop appeal. Initially it felt a little contrived but its an easy going song with a darker leaning that's grown on me.

Its following songs get meatier, shifting emphasis to big stomping grooves erupting between rough shouts and screams. The synths tend to play accents on the unfolding momentum but too get moments to shine and play up the Trance and electronic club scene vibes. Its a decent chemistry that doesn't amount to anything spectacular but does no harm either. A little astral in places, they distantly remind me of Aeons Confer. This has been a reminder of how enjoyable Metal can be, even if not much out there feels fresh or different.

Rating: 2/10