Tuesday 1 June 2021

Arcturus "Constellation" (1993)

Writing has been a lot of fun recently but more so has the listening! Discovering the foggy gloom and doom of My Angel and reliving the unique astral wonders of Aspera Hiems Symfonia again, my recent dive into Symphonic Black Metal has potentially led me onto an Arcturus journey but alas we will stop here for now.

Writing on the bands aforementioned debut, I remarked how dingy and overly symphonic this short four track EP was. It certainly is riddled with fidelity issues, inaudible bass and overpowering keys. My curiosity couldn't help itself tho. Giving this one some time and with swiftly adjusted ears I am astonished again by a band who seem to always lavish astonishment upon me. These songs are essentially identical. Where its keys once had a creaky yet powerful subtly, they are now front and center with dank and humid tones that relish in their own oddities. On some level it plays down the extremity of Black Metal, amplifying the symphonic magic at the heart of Arcturus, illuminating the majesty of their night sky inspired theatrics.

And check the date! The music is a mighty force of cosmic wonder, wedging itself in a scene yet to explode or even blossom. How delightfully strange these defined ideas are. Cosmic, majestic, curiously carnival and a little jovial. Its beautiful eccentricity emanating from keyboardist Sverd's fingers. I knew this element was the spark but it seems all to powerful and obvious here, the compositions are so inspired, creative and otherworldly with its astral icy gleam illuminating the darkly music. Each of these numbers are mighty journeys, adventures of the night full of twists and turns.

The intolerance of my youth had me gloss over and dismiss these lower fidelity releases... such a shame... but now I see an opportunity, to re-visit these demo tapes and early releases of my most favored bands that I once ignored. I hope to unearth more gems like this one.

Rating: 8/10